Stevie Tunic - Fabric from Overseas

Hi friends! I made two dresses from Stevie Tunic by Tilly and the Buttons. They are made from Japanese fabric and African wax cotton.
Stevie Tunic Tilly and the Buttons

Stevie Tunic Tilly and the Buttons

Stevie Tunic Tilly and the buttons
I used Stevie Tunic which has a pull-on tunic and top pattern. The pattern doesn't have set-in sleeves, zippers, button holes or other difficult steps. It has two length options (above-the-knee dress length and shirt length) with optional turn-up cuffs and patch pocket, and the closing at the back can use ties or button loop. The pattern have only chest pattern, but I added the side pockets of both dresses. Both dresses were very quick and easy to make. I cut the parts out one evening and sewed one dress up the next day.

Stevie Tunic Tilly and the ButtonsStevie Tunic Tilly and the Buttons
Stevie Tunic Tilly and the ButtonsStevie Tunic Tilly and the Buttons
This was the first Stevie tunic that I made. I purchased the African cotton from an African variety shop in a small town in Japan. I never expected there was a shop like this in the town, because it is well known with for its Japanese old town atmosphere. It's always jam packed with tourists in kimonos. The shop has many lovely African fabrics and knick-knacks, so I fell in love with the fabric at first sight. A lot of berries and spiders are printed on the fabric. I also used a navy dungaree for the cuff and ties at the back. I cut it to a size between 2 and 3. The model in the pattern envelope is wearing it as a mini dress, but the length was really short for me (I'm 5' 4" tall). I didn't realise the name of the pattern was "Stevie TUNIC". Tunic...😂 If you would like to make the pattern as a dress, check the length before you start to cut the parts. Otherwise, you can't raise both your hands in the dress!

Stevie Tunic Tilly and the Buttons
I made the dress using men's and ladies' yukata fabrics (yukata means a kind of kimono). I purchased these yukatas in an antique market (previowes blog post: antique market ). I wanted to make the dress to wear in a traditional Japanese inn. Most traditional style inns prepare yukatas instead of bathrobes or casual clothes, but my husband and I never use them and usually wear our own clothes (T- shirts and shorts) at inns. Such clothes are more comfortable than yukata, but I think they look kind of weird in a traditional Japanese inn. I'm glad that the dress suits Japanese inns. 

Kimono FabricStevie Tunic - Fabric from Overseas
These yukata fabrics were only 14 1/2 inches in width (kimono fabric is very narrow), so I combined two yukatas. I tied the back bow and sewed it on the back. However, the dress can be pulled it over my head without untying a bow. It's so easy to take on and off. I increased the length of the skirt hem by 13 3/4 inches.

Flower Appliques Flower Appliques
Japanese Sewingbook
These flower appliques were made with 'Scattered Flowers' in my mind. I cut out flower applique pieces from the flower patternend yukata and sewed them on the front and back of the bodice by sewing machine. Yukata fabric doesn't fray easily, and I only attached the interfacing to the wrong side. I used the idea from my favourite sewist: Tatsuya Kaigai's sewng book (Sweet Dress Recipe), and the author often uses flower appliques using Liberty tana-lawn.

Stevie Tunic Tilly and the Buttons
Stevie Tunic Dress
I made the dresses using two types unique fabrics from Steavie Tunic, and I love both. The dresses were so easy to sew, and they are comfy to wear. I will make the pattern again as I love the back style too. You can make a lovely tunic with the pattern too, because there is a lot of versatility depending on fabric choice.

Fabric: African Fabric 45" 2 yd and Two kind of yukata
Total Time Spent (not including cutting time): 8 hours / one dress.

27 comments

  1. Beautiful fabric! The nice thing about this simple pattern is that it does allow for the fabric to be the show stopper :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kathleen for your lovely comment! I really like Stevie Tunic– it’s really versatile! I’m probably going to make the pattern using Liberty:)

      Delete
  2. oh I love that kimono fabric one, it is beautiful and the appliqués are so nice. The spider print - not so much :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Beth! I am glad you like the fabric. I think it’s a really good pattern with lots of potential!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous8/21/2018

    I love both! Such different fabrics and both such good choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words!

      Delete
  4. Both dresses are lovely. I love the blue one the most especially after reading about the flowers you attached; I first thought they were part of the original kimono fabrics. I might want to give this dress a try as it seem very easy to sew. You look great in both.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I agree that the flower appliques look natural like prints. I think the kimono fabrics certainly spice my wardrobe up. Thank you for your lovely comment. Happy sewing, Linda!

      Delete
  5. These dresses both look lovely. It's amazing how a different fabric can make a pattern look so different!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and your nice comment! Have a gread day;)

      Delete
  6. It's the unique touches that you do on all o your projects that I love so much! Both dresses are lovely. I especially like how you appliqued the extra flowers on the second one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I love the kimono fabric too! I'm very flattered you like them. Your fantastic projects are always inspiring to me:) Thank you Diane and have a lovely day.

      Delete
  7. I love both versions of the dress!
    The first fabric looks very cheerful, and if you think it turned out too short you could add a band of the same navy dungaree at the bottom hem. The yukata version is lovely, with the aplique flowers! That's a great idea to wear modern clothes made from kimono fabrics instead of traditional yukatas. Have you even been to a place where they rented yukatas but made from the modern patterned fabrics? That cuould be interesting too! *^v^* (when we are in ryokan we always wear yukatas but it's different for us, it's fun and unconventional compared to European clothes... ^^*~~).
    Great results, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's an interesting question! I've never thought about that before😁 I sometimes see kimono rental shops in torists spots, and they have modern patterned yukatas too. For examples, hibiscus, rose, star, leopard, hello kitty...etc. I've seen a girl wearing a yukata like Sailor Moon! Haha.
      As you know, most ryokan prepare yukatas in room, but those yukatas are unisex with basic pattern. However, many ryokan start to rent some kind of modern patterned yukata, and visitors can choose what they like.
      I really love European fabrics too. They are very popular with Japanese sewers. Happy sewing, Joanna😊

      Delete
  8. The African cotton looks fantastic! So vibrant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both of your pretty dresses - the contrast cuffs and bow on the African Wax dress are gorgeous. As for the applique floating flowers - what a lovely touch. All your garments are just stunning. You are the same height as me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah! I thought you were taller than me. I think your pattern reviews are really helpful for me. This was the first time to use an African wax cotton, it was easy to sew. I looooove it.

      Delete
  10. These are so lovely! You have such wonderful fabric shops in Japan. If I am ever able to plan a trip there, I will take a very large suitcase just for fabric shopping. :) You have such amazing results with a simple pattern. You are an inspiration for all levels of sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words! Most sewers from other countries go to fabric city in Tokyo. If you visit Japan, you will need some suitcases. I love quick sewing project but I'm trying a complicated project now. I will review about it. Anyway, your comment is always encouraging me;)

      Delete
  11. Leave it to you to take something simple and turn it into something extraordinarily beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josephine! I am happy hear from you!

      Delete
  12. These look great on you Eli! Especially like the yukata one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maria! I love your dress with Egyptian cotton:D

      Delete
  13. Lovely details on both dresses. They look so beautiful on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment Olivia!

      Delete
  14. Anonymous9/09/2018

    Hi Eli. The Princess line effect on the blue dress is so flattering and deceptive (surely not such a simple pattern!) I admire the beautiful match of the geometric and large scale floral - am currently struggling to match a large-scale geometric ... and love sheer bright simplicity of the rich yellow dress too. Love the side-by-side comparisons and the back-stories that you do :) (Slouchy from SPR).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks for your nice comment. Your words are encouraging me! (Is your name Slouchy?) I agree with you, the geometric goes well with the large scale floral. Especially, these fabric are so airy, and good for the hot weather. Next time, I may make a top version with Liberty tana-lawn.

      Delete