Butterick 6331 - Kimono Trench Jacket

This jacket is made of a vintage kimono. I changed the kimono sleeves from the original pattern; (Butterick6331)
Butterick 6331 sewing pattern

Butterick 6331
It's been a while since I've posted my blog, but I continued to make things. Butterick 6331 has four options (Jacket; two sleeves and pants; two length variations), and I chose view B. I've  made a kimono jacket before (Simplicity 1318 Samurai Jacket for women), but this was the first time I've made a kimono trench!
Butterick 6331
I bought the paper crane-patterned kimono last year. I considered making a long length trench coat, but I didn't have the full yardage. In general, vintage kimonos are very small and were made over 50 years ago. Women in the past were shorter than nowadays. I had to squeeze the pattern pieces onto the fabric and barely cut them.

Here's the tutorials: how to make a kimono sleeve↓

Butterick 6331 pattern review
Copy and trace over the front sleeve pattern. Cut out.
※ I shortened the sleeve length.

Butterick 6331 pattern review
Divide into two parts. Cut and open by 10 centimetres (3 4/5 inches).
Butterick 6331 pattern review
Set the sleeve pattern on the other sheet with tape like the picture. Repeat the steps for the back sleeve pattern.

Butterick 6331 pattern reviewButterick 6331 pattern reviewButterick 6331 pattern reviewButterick 6331 kimono trench
I added the shoulder straps on both shoulders and made the pleat on the back. The most difficult part was the placement of the cranes on the jacket. My mother-in-law (she was a kimono tailor) thinks the same is true of making a kimono. However, making a kimono has some different aspects from making clothes, for example, you should arrange the biggest impact print is on one shoulder. I arranged the placement of the cranes asymmetrically on the left and right while looking at the overall balance.
I like Butterick 6331, but I have some complaints. It doesn't have a lining pattern, also the location of the pocket at around tummy looks a little odd.
Butterick 6331
I wanted to make other options (pants) too, but I will make them some other time. I think the jacket pattern matches khaki cotton! It will be a great military jacket. I really love this style, and the jacket goes well with the memade fringe earrings.
Fabric: Vintage Silk Kimono
Total Time Spent: 12 hours

One thing! Am I like a cosplayer? Haha!

19 comments

  1. What a refashion of fabric! I love what you did with this jacket. I too have that pattern but I haven't decided what to make with it. I really like the look with the shirt you paired it with too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! I'm glad that I bought the pattern-love it. I am looking forward to seeing yours. Your fabric is always perfect😉

      Delete
  2. Wow! What a beautiful jacket. Your sleeve alteration makes it so much better. Lovely outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaaaank you so much Lori! I appreciate that😊💕

      Delete
  3. What a stunning jacket Eli. I love the fabric and your sleeves are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane! I love the way it looks in the Autumn🍂😊

      Delete
  4. that is so gorgeous - you are really clever with your refashions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks to Beth! Your comment is so sweet😊

      Delete
  5. Oh I love it and the fabric is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Josephine!'m very pleased😊

      Delete
  6. I think you did a great job placing the crane motives in good spots! I think it's similar with Western clothes as well, sometimes it's difficult to place the patterns on the fabric so the motives wouldn't look strange, like a single flower on one boob for example... *^V^* Or, when you use the checkered fabric.
    Anyway, I like your version of the jacket, it has a strong woman impact, with the epaulettes and big collar. I like the comparison of you wearing the kimono and a jacket, it shows how the same fabric can change the outfit. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words, Joanna! I really love the fabric, and it's so unique. My thoughts about the print placement has changed since I started making a kimono. I take a step back and look at the whole fabric and the overall balance before cutting the fabric. I thought I had to match the plaids perfectly, but I think it depends on the fabric now. Thanks to kimonos, I discovered a lot. I can't wait to see your new project.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, this is absolutely gorgeous. I love your kimono sleeve adaption of this jacket, and so grateful for your tutorial on how to adapt the sleeve. I want to copy your wonderful idea, but I don't think I have time for everything! You really have done a wonderful job, and the pattern placement of the cranes is perfect. I guess that in traditional kimono making there are lots of rules aobut where to place patterns - no doubt all steeped in tradition and symbolism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed you comment! Anyway, many thanks to Sarah! I am happy to hear that. The pattern placement of the cranes was tricky a little, but It was really worth it. Your comment is always encouraging me.

      Delete
  8. This Kimono jacket stopped me in my tracks!! It is so gorgeous!! You did a wonderful job inside and out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vanessa! I am glad you said so:)))

      Delete
  9. Such a cool remake Eli! I love how you kept the spirit of the original kimono intact with the sleeves, plus I think this fabric has such great body that a narrower sleeve would not do justice to. Pattern placement is tricky--I think the crane is in a really smart spot--subtle asymmetry is elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunning jacket is that. Love all of them and the designs were amazing. So fashionable and elegant. Big thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is amazing! It looks great.

    ReplyDelete