Seren Dress - DIY Half Bleached Summer Dress

Hi, friends! It's hot this summer, and I wanted an airy summer dress. I made this dress from Seren Dress by Tilly and the Buttons
Seren Dress Pattern Tilly and the Buttons


Seren Dress

Seren Dress Pattern ReviewStevie Tunic
I bought two patterns ( SEREN DRESS and STEVIE TUNIC ) on sale. I've already made both patterns, so I would like to review about Seren dress (my previowes review about Stevie Tunic: here). The pattern has three bodice options (plain, tie-front and flounce neckline) with a knee-length or midi hemline. I chose the flounce neckline and midi length version that the model is wearing in the picture. The instructions are very clearly written with great pictures. The pattern calls for a light- to medium-weight woven fabrics such as cotton lawn, chambray, linen...etc. I managed to make the dress using a light dungaree.

Burnside Bibs Overalls
I reviewed about bleached overalls before (Burnside Bibs - How to Distress Denim Overalls?), this time I tried to make the half-bleached summer dress. Before sewing the dress, I bleached the hem of the flounce and skirt to turn them white, and after that I bleached whole fabric again.

Here’s the step-by-step on how to do it! Enjoy!
Instructions:
DIY Half Bleached Summer DressDIY Half Bleached Summer Dress
Note: You will need fabric, bleach, rubber gloves and a bucket. Please don't wear your favourite clothes😁 I wanted to make fringes, so I cut the selvages from both sides of the fabric.
Step 1. Do trial. Hang out a small scrap fabric on something and bleach it. Leave and check it every 1 minute. It took me around 10 minutes.
DIY Half Bleached Summer DressDIY Half Bleached Summer Dress
Step 2. Cut your fabric and press the wrinkles out of it. Otherwise, it'll cause unevenness.
Step 3. Sew the both sides of the skirt before putting clothespins. Fold the flounce and skirt lightly (don't crease them!), and make sure the bottom lines up neatly. Put clothespins on the fabric where you want the bleach to stop.

DIY Half Bleached Summer DressDIY Half Bleached Summer Dress
Step 4. Attach strings to the clothespins.
Step 5. Pour the bottle of bleach into your bucket or large wash bowl (I used 2 liters of bleach), and then place the fabric in the bowl gently. Put a glass on the fabric so that it doesn't float. Move the glass regularly and check the progress every few minutes. If you would like to make fringes, put the selvages in the bowl too.

DIY Half Bleached Summer DressDIY Half Bleached Summer Dress
Step 6. Once you reach the desired colour, rinse them in cold water quickly.
Step 7. I wanted to lighten the fabric from navy to blue, so I bleached the fabric again. I used 2 liters of bleach with 20 liters of water. Stir the water with bleach, and check the progress every 10-30 minutes. It took me about 3 hours.
Seren Dress Pattern Tilly and the Buttons
If you would like to make half-bleached dress, skirt or jeans, I strongly recommend that you sew the front and back skirt before bleaching. It's easy to match the bleached sections on the both sides. 
Seren Dress Pattern Tilly and the ButtonsSeren Dress Pattern Tilly and the Buttons
This flounce neckline is so lovely, but when I bent over in the dress, my chest was exposed under the weight of the flounce. I inserted an elastic into the facing in the back of the neckline.
I attached the selvages to the wrong side of the flounce and the hem of the skirt as fringes, because it's too difficult and hassle to make fluffy fringes using light dungaree.

Seren Dress Pattern Tilly and the Buttons
My size is between a size 3 and 4 based on the finished garment measurement. Bleaching fabrics cause to shrink, so I cut a size 4. If you try to make bleached clothes, I recommend that you add the seam allowance about more 1/3 inch than the pattern calls for.
I shortened the shoulder straps a little, because the straps are slipped off my shoulders.

Seren Dress Pattern Tilly and the Buttons
This project was a lot of fun! I have some bleached tops and jeans, but the half-bleached dress is a new style for me. I’ve been enjoying wearing the dress with the colour contrast. Seren dress makes everyone look lovely. Next time, I will review about Stevie Tunic. Thank you for reading!

Total Time Spent (not include cutting time) : 14 hours
Fabric 60" 2 3/4 yd




32 comments

  1. This is a really cute dress on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Seren! Such a neat idea to make your own border - you could use that methodology with dye as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathleen! I love the idea and will try to bleach other clothes😁

      Delete
  3. What a nice Summer dress! And you'll be able to wear it in Spring and Autumn too, with some nice cardigan or a jacket. I like the two toned idea. Never tried bleaching clothes myself, but I remember in the 1990's the bleached jeans clothes were very fashionable. My cousin tried to make them herself and she succeeded.
    I never have the patience to make many buttonholes, I admire you for so many on that dress! *^v^*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Joanna! Actually, I don't like making buttonholes, but I managed to make fifteen buttonholes on the dress(◎-◎;) I love the dress, and it's worth it. I must make a cardigan for this autumn. Oh yeah, I remember those jeans! They were in fashion in Japan. I used wear bleached high-rise jeans.

      Delete
  4. Very creative way to bleach, thanks for sharing your process. Your dress is lovely and fit is perfect. Nice summer dress pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Linda! Oh yeah, I love this pattern:) I am looking forward to reading your next pattern review.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! What a creative idea and so well executed. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lori! Very pleased:)

      Delete
  6. that is FANTASTIC! I love it. the finished look is so cute! now I want to make a half-bleached something! what can I try?? off to look at my fabrics.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for putting it that way, Beth! I want you to try:) I’m sure you’ll make a great project.

      Delete
  7. This looks amazing! I love the half bleached effect and the dress is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, Let's Get Sewing! I am pleased:)

      Delete
  8. I really love this - I love your creativity

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks amazing! Thank you so much for the tutorial on how to bleach. I have really wanted to try this but wasn't sure how to do it. You look fantastic and your pictures are always so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shirley! If you like the idea, please try it;) I think bleaching fabric is easier than dyeing.

      Delete
  10. I love the dress! It looks stunning on it. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sewing Cappuccino8/02/2018

    Super Cool Dress, Eli! You did an absolutely beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Sewing Cappuccino! Your comment is always sweet.

      Delete
  12. The bleaching gives it an interesting look. Your creativity is truly amazing. Everything you make is always gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Olivia! I am glad you said that.

      Delete
  13. The bleaching is a very clever idea, although I would be too frightened to try it! I would not get such an even result as you. Your bleached areas really lift this dress into something very special. It looks lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praising me Sarah! Very pleased. I like the effect of bleaching the fabric.

      Delete
  14. Such an eye-catching beautiful dress!! Interesting process and it's amazing that the bleach is all nice and even as well as the overall bleached effect is too. A credit to your creative ability Eli!! Everything you make is so stylish and so creative. You are inspiring!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lisa:) I love the way to bleach the fabric. I think the technique work in a good variety of fabrics, too. I’ve got a lot more interesting projects to blog so I’m glad you like it!

      Delete
  15. Your dress is so lovely! I totally admire the way you thought to use the bleach!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alli! I'm glad you said that. I would love to bleach other clothes too😁

      Delete