Lace Biker Jacket - Mona by Wear Lemonade


Believe it or not, I made a biker jacket using lace! It's so girly and good for the hydrangea season.
Mona Biker Jacket Sewing Pattern

Mona Biker Jacket Sewing PatternMona Biker Jacket Sewing Pattern
Memade outfit: Mona jacket by Wear Lemonade, Mimosa Culottes by Named Clothing and Blanc Tee by Blank Slate Patterns.

Mona by Wear Lemonade
I used this biker jacket pattern; Mona from the French brand Wear Lemonade. This was my first time making a their pattern (and French pattern too!). The patterns are simple and lovely. If you haven't made a biker jacket, I recommend Mona. I think that a beginner would have no trouble at all. It was easier and quicker than I expected. The instructions haven't been translated into English yet. Unfortunately, I can't speak French, but don't worry! The pictures in the instructions were clear, and the tutorial video by Wear Lemonade was great. If you are planning on making a biker jacket, I highly recommend watching the video sew along.

Biker Jacket Sewing PatternBiker Jacket Sewing Pattern
This fabric is sheer polyester lace, and embroidered with black and white flowers. I made a chest pocket and collar using the edges of the lace fabric. Very cute! However, I NEVER use the pocket, Haha.
Biker Jacket Sewing PatternBiker Jacket Sewing Pattern
Mona is a short jacket pattern and doesn't have any linings. I think it's good for spring and fall. I didn't want to show the rough edges of the lace fabric, so I was going to bind the seam allowances with bias tape. I cut a long long piece of bias tape...BUT I don't like it. Seen from the right side, the bias tapes stand out through the lace! No!😣 I used the edge of the lace instead of the bias tape. I sewed it to the seam allowances, so it made the jacket look better. When I use lace fabric, I usually avoid cutting the edges. It was good to keep them.


Mona Biker Jacket Sewing Pattern
Mona Biker Jacket Sewing Pattern
The jacket is closed, it can be worn as a blouse. I love this way to wear it too. I shortened the sleeve length and raised the waistline by 1inch. It fits me perfectly. I usually shorten the length of the bodice, but I didn't change it. If you are 5'4 and over, I recommend checking the bodice length.

Mimosa Culottes Named Clothing Blanc Tee Blank Slate Patterns
By the way, I made a pair of culottes and T-shirt too! (Mimosa Culottes by Named Clothing and Blanc Tee by Blank Slate Patterns). Both patterns are PDFs. I didn't have any culottes, but they are so comfortable and lovely. I have a pear shaped body, so I avoid wearing high waist pants. However, the big pleats in the culottes cover my bottom. I thought the ankle length culottes were too long for me, so I shortened the length by 4 inches. If I wear ankle length culottes, I' ll make them with plaids wool fabric for winter. Anyway, I loved sewing them and can't wait to make another one. I'm happy I tried these patterns!

Fabric: Mona Jacket 45" 2yd, Mimosa Culottes 60" 2yd
Total Time Spent: Mona Jacket 10 hours, Mimosa Culottes 9 hours

~Anothr story~
I am frequently asked where I buy second-hand kimonos. I usually purchase them online, sometimes actual shops and antique market. I want to share just a little bit with you about an antique market in Japan.

Sewing Antique market
The kimono was sewn by me, and the jacket by mother in-law. A few days ago, My husband and I visited Takahata Fudo (temple) in Tokyo, in order to go a hydrangea festival and an antique market.

Fudo Temple
The temple held the antique market on the third Saturday, and around one hundred small antique shops were selling interesting antiques, jewellery, accessories, ornaments...etc.


Fabric tour at antique marketFabric tour at antique market
I looked for a second-hand yukata (a kind of kimono for summer), obi belt (kimono belt), vintage fabric and decorative hair pin for the kimono style. Most of the antiques are sold in the antique market at fair prices. I think these items are cheaper than those which are sold from shops in tourist spots.

Fabric tour at antique marketFabric tour at antique market
I saw a lovely pair of culottes with Japanese Aizome fabric, which is dyed from the leaves of the Japanese indigo plant. I didn't buy it, instead I bought a navy yukata with a wrinkled texture for 700 Japanese yen (it's about $7 in U.S. dollars).
Many antique markets are held in Japan. If you would like to go to an antique market with your boyfriend or husband, I would recommend THIS market! This is because I think most men don't like shopping with women, but the temple is a beautiful and interesting place for men as well. Also, there are many restrooms and benches, so it's easy to take a rest. My husband enjoyed shopping with me there, but he sat on a bench and played on his phone for a little bit...😁 How about your partner? Thank you for reading! Happy sewing😺



26 comments

  1. Eli, I love your lace Moto jacket! It's so elegant but wearable! And thanks for the antique market recommendation-- we like to go to them a few times a year, and thankfully John enjoys them as much as I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Saki! I'm glad you like antique markets😁 I think you can make a great garment using vintage fabric. I'll share the information about interesting place in Japan👘

      Delete
  2. I think Robert would definitely enjoy browsing the stalls with me and he would try to convince me to buy this or that, because I usually say I don't need anything... *^V^* If we visit Tokyo this year I definitely want to visit some market and see what's there to buy!
    What a cool idea to make the biker jacket in lace!!! *^V^* So girly choice, I love it! Sewing lace must be a challenge I think, I never tried it, but as always you are a pro! Cullotes are also very nice, they must be comfortable to wear in the Summer heat.
    I love how you look in your kimono and jacket (is it hapi? or haori?). Whe I look at you I wish I was Japanese!... *^-^*~~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna! If it fits your schedule, I would recommend the antique market in Takahata fudo. The temple has a beautiful garden, tea room and free rest area. Also,great access from the station.
      I love lace fabric and have a lot of stash. The kimono jacket (haori) was made of cotton lace. It's so airly and comfortable. I'm planning on making a yukata for the summer. I have to make it quickly!(^^;

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful idea!!!! It looks beautiful on you, and I think the culottes are awesome too. Also, glad to see you are in the pear-shaped club too, lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Vanessa! I didn't know the pear-shaped club! It sounds funny! I'll join it as a VIP member, haha😁

      Delete
  4. I love your lace "biker" jacket! It's such an unusual style to fabric it must draw lots of eyes your way :) If I lived in Japan I would definitely go to the antique markets and most definitely my husband would love that too - much more than fabric shopping :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kathleen:) I am glad that you like it.
      I recommend the antique market everyone. Also, many second-hand kimono markets ard held in Japan. Just watching them makes me fun!

      Delete
  5. I would have never thought to make a jacket of lace fabric--brilliant and beautiful! You look amazing in your complete outfit. Japan is definitely on my wish list of places I hope to visit one day. One of my daughters has asked me if we can take a mother/daughter trip one day when she is grown. I will be so happy when that day comes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Shirley! I'm pleased. If you and your daughter have a chance to visit Japan, I recommend you go to the antique market and rental kimono. I often see young girls from other countries wear kimonos in tourist spot, so they take selfies👘

      Delete
  6. The jacket is very interesting! Wouldn't have thought about making it in lace...nice!
    p.s. My husband looks like a sad puppy when he goes shopping with me, so if I must take him, I leave him in a cafe with his phone while I shop :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria for putting it that way. I have a lot of lace stash.
      I laughed when you said your husband looks like a sad puppy! My husband too! 😁

      Delete
  7. You always make the most lovely garments Eli! I love your lace jacket and I like it worn as a top too. I'm glad to hear that you made culottes. I love mine and now have 4 pair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane! I wouldn't have thought of zipping up the jacket, but the style looks lovely.
      FOUR? I wanted to read your review before making mine😊

      Delete
  8. The lace is so fresh and light! I have a lace in my stash that I've always wanted to make into a jacket, but I've never been able to work out in my head what it would look like. Thank you for that! The aizome fabric has such a beautiful texture! I'm always amazed by the qualities of traditional fabrics like these! I did batik for many years, and I'm endlessly fascinated by the depth of character you can get with dye, resist, and time. I would love to see how these textiles are made!
    What did you use to interface the lace with for the zipper? Since our kids are almost always with us, my husband often drops me off at fabric stores and takes them to the park. Rarely, he will come with me to be my fabric mule, LOL! He is extra dramatic with the weight of it all so that I appreciate his effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words, Elizabeth! I often see such lace jackets and coats at clothes shops in Japan, so I'm inspired by them. I've made two bomber jackets, light coat and cardigan using lace. I'm interested in dyeing fabric and shibori, and love batik too! If I have a chance, I would like to take a dyeing fabric class. Unfortunately, I don't have much work space in my house. I didn't use any interfaces for the jacket. But it was Ok. I think it's too difficult to make a jacket or coat using too soft lace. I recommend using soft lace for the dlaped cardigan:)
      Fabric mule! Haha! Just imaging that makes me want to laugh. He's so kind and clever.

      Delete
  9. I love this jacket in lace. The pattern line is new to me and will have to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda! Yes, their patterns are not difficult to make, but they are so lovely:)

      Delete
  10. Eli, your jacket is so beautiful. What an amazing idea to make it out of lace. I also love your culottes and your top. Thanks for sharing about the antique market. You looked so beautiful in your kimono.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Olivia! I am pleased. If you have a chance to go to Japan, I would recommend visiting antique markets. You can find lovely fabrics.

      Delete
  11. Cute jacket! I never thought of using lace for a biker style moto jacket. When I visit Japan again (which will probably be within a couple of years) I will definitely check out an antique market.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much betty! When you visit Japan, please check the antique market. It's very fun and interesting😊

      Delete
  12. I love this pretty little jacket, and as soon as I saw it I also thought it would make a great blouse. What a good idea to use lace offcuts to finish the seams. And your culottes are lovely - plus t shirt, a whole new outfit. As for shopping with male partners, I agree, it is better for them to have something to do as well - that makes it easier for us to enjoy ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet words, Sarah! I love these patterns-especially, the culottes pattern is lovely and useful. I usually steer clear of culottes, because they make my bottom look bigger😓 However, I will wear the Mimosa culottes a lot.

      Delete
  13. Your jacket looks amazing! I love the culottes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet words😊

      Delete