Vogue1544 - 1960s Style Kimono Dress

This 1960s style dress is made from an old kimono. I'm obsessed with this pattern Vogue1544 .
Vogue1544 Sewing Pattern Review

Vogue1544 Mountain View Pull-On Jeans by Itch to Stitch
Another Vogue1544; Top version. (Memade outfit: Mountain View Pull-On Jeans by Itch to Stitch.)

Vogue1544 Sewing Pattern Review
I decided to purchase Vogue1544 immediately, because the collar in the dress caught my eye. I was interested in the way the collar is made. The collar is extended as a bow on the back. The pattern is a semi fitted silhouette, and has an invisible back zipper and lining. It was simpler to make the dress than I expected.

Vogue1544 - Upcycling Kimono DressVogue1544 - Upcycling Kimono Dress
Big chrysanthemums are printed on this kimono. I loved the print, and it looked gorgeous. Unfortunately, these sleeves of the kimono were too short for me, so I recycled it. First, I took it apart and washed the fabric to make a new dress. I was worried that I would lose the colour when I washed it, but it was OK.

Vogue1544 - Upcycling Kimono DressVogue1544 - Upcycling Kimono Dress

I cut a size 10, my normal size. I attached the lining for whole dress for following the instructions. I used thin and airy lining for summer. I love the bow on the back, but it may be a little too long for my taste, so I shortened it by 3 inches. I had to cut the bow on the bias, but the kimono fabric is very narrow. I had to cut the piece of the bow along the grain, and it was no problem. I also raised the waist line by an inch and the back zipper by 1 2/3 inches.

Vogue1544 - Upcycling Kimono DressVogue1544 Sewing Pattern Review
Kimono fabrics are very narrow (only 14-15 inches in width), and I usually choose a dress pattern that has narrow parts when I make a dress from a kimono. However, the width of the front bodice pattern that I used was about 21 1/2 inches. I cut the front bodice into two parts, a right and left bodice and then joined them in the center.
The most difficult part was the arrangement of the chrysanthemum prints. Basically, the shapes of kimonos are almost symmetrical, but prints on kimonos are asymmetrical, so they look beautiful from every angle. I didn't want the dress to look busy, so I arranged the chrysanthemum prints asymmetrically for the right and left bodice and left each chrysanthemums space.


Vogue1544 Sewing Pattern ReviewVogue1544 Sewing Pattern Review
I think it looks slightly like a Chinese dress. If I hadn't attached a lining, it could have been worn without a zipper. Next time, I would like to make it with Liberty tana-lawn, so I won't need the lining and zipper. Geometric patterned fabric would be good for the dress pattern, it would be a nice classic dress. I recommend using silk, rayon, polyester, georgette, linen...etc, but I don't recommend using stiff fabric, or it would be difficult to make the collar and tie.

Vogue1544 Sewing Pattern Review
 Vogue1544 has only one dress patten, but I made the pull over top as a trial. I love it, and it's so comfortable and lovely.

Vogue1544 Sewing Pattern ReviewVogue1544 Sewing Pattern Review
I omitted the zipper and lining, because it's stretch knit (this fabric is a blend of triacetate and polyester). I bought the fabric in a sale, and it was cheaper than usual. But the fabric was only 35 inches wide. (The length was 2 1/8 yards). I had to squeeze the pattern pieces onto the fabric without cutting it too much. I added the hem band and shortened the bow on the back by 9 3/4 inches. The top was easy to finish quickly since it had no zipper and lining. It took me around 7 hours.

Vogue1544 Sewing Pattern ReviewVogue1544 Mountain View Pull-On Jeans by Itch to Stitch
It's so hot and humid in Japan now. I usually wear these jeans ( Previous Review: Pull-On Jeans ) this summer, because they are super comfortable!
I am going to make a top from Vogue1544 again. I also have a plan to make a new cotton kimono to go to a fireworks festival. I have cut the fabric already, but I haven't finished putting it together it yet. I have to make it this summer!




Fabric: Top 35" 2 1/8 yd

Total Time Spent (not including cutting time): Dress 12 hours, Top 7 hours

32 comments

  1. I love the print on the dress version. In fact, the print makes the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading my blog betty! I love the print too😊

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pieces, especially the dress. I love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maria! I'm glad that I save the kimono😋

      Delete
    2. And by the way, I nominated you for the Mystery Blogger Award given you're one of those bloggers I follow constantly :) http://mhayek.blogspot.com/2018/07/mystery-blogger-award.html

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Maria!! I'm flattered you said that😊

      Delete
  3. Terrific job on the dress! Love the top as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your lovely comment Georgia!

      Delete
  4. I love the dress and top! I must buy this pattern now. I love the pattern placement of the dress, and making the front in two pieces was such a great idea--I had to look for the seam. I would not have known it was there...very nice. I definitely want to make a top from the pattern. It is so hard to find unique and stylish tops that are also comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Shirley! I didn't want to fail the kimono dress, so I made the top as a trial. I love wearing the top with jeans, and it goes well with a pencil skirt😋 I think you can make a great top from the pattern. Good luck!

      Delete
  5. As I wrote on Instagram, I absolutely love this dress! It looks so elegant. And the top os cute too!
    I had the same issue with how to match the flower patterns on the dress using the kimono fabric, I think it looks great when it's asymetrical. (now I regret a bit that I matched my patterns in a mirror reflection... ^^*~~)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Joanna! I am glad you said that. I avoided to place the big chrysanthemum patterns on my butt area, because I wanted to draw attention to my upper body, hehe(○´w`○)
      I really love your dress from a yukata. It looks lovely on you!

      Delete
  6. I love your dress AND the top too! Nice pattern - I love that neck with the bow in the back - so clever! It's amazing what you can find in older patterns and re-purposing kimonos is brilliant as well. They are made up typically of such luscious silk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Kathleen, thank you for putting it that way! I am glad that I bought the pattern. I love the neck with the bow, and it looks so lovely. Silk is very expensive at a fabric store in Japan, but the second-hand kimono was cheaper.

      Delete
  7. This dress and top look absolutely perfect on you! The dress front is so elegant, while the back has so much visual interest and detail. Love, love, love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Vanessa! I am glad that you like it. I love this pattern, especially the bow on the back is lovely😊

      Delete
  8. fabulous, and the placement of the flowers is perfect. I made a dress from kimono silk a few years ago, it was on a roll never previously sewn up. And it was really difficult - both the placement of the flowers and also the kimono silk is SO tough, amazingly strong fabric. but it turned out well in the end. So your kimono refashions are amazing to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Beth! I am happy to hear from you. I have been learning making kimonos from my mother-in-law. There are some ways to place pattern on a kimono. They are different from making clothes, but I love both of them. I remember your dress using a kimono! It's so lovely and gorgeous😊

      Delete
  9. Gosh how lovely your dress is! You used the design of flowers perfectly. I love how they flow down the dress front. Your top is fab too. I must check out that Vogue pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane! I recommend the pattern to everyone. I would love to make a beach dress like yours😊

      Delete
  10. Wow, I didn't realize that you had used that Vogue pattern for your dress! When I originally saw the pattern on Vogue's site, I didn't really like it, but your dress is so beautiful! And how smart to make a top version for a test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Alli! I am glad you said that. The pink dress in the pattern envelope looks lovely, but it's too girly for me😁 I used a navy kimono, I am happy with the great transformation.

      Delete
  11. Your dress looks so beautiful. I love the print. The top is very beautiful as well. Thanks for reviewing this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Olivia😊 This pattern is very useful, and I will make another top.

      Delete
  12. Dear Eli, Love both you dress and top! You are such an inspiration to every one! ♥
    I have nominated you to The Mystery Blogger Award, http://www.ellensewing.com/2018/07/the-mystery-blogger-award_14.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Ellen! I am very pleased😊

      Delete
  13. This pattern looks so elegant on you, whether as a top or a dress. And the silk is just gorgeous and will be so cool to wear in your current weather. And such a good use of a well loved kimono. Now it has a new lease of life :). Next time this pattern in on sale I must get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! I am glad you said that😊 I recommend the pattern. You can make both formal and casual clothes.

      Delete
  14. I love both the top and the dress but the dress is particularly stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Let's Get Sewing! You are so kind😊

      Delete
  15. Just had to stop by again to tell you how much I love what you make! I always feel inspired by you! I have nominated you for the Mystery Blogger Award - http://georgiasew.blogspot.com/2018/07/the-mystery-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Georgia! I am glad you choose me:)

      Delete