Mountain View Pull-On Jeans - DIY Butterfly and Heart Pocket

Hey, look!! I would like to show these super comfortable jeans! They are elastic waist jeans.
Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch


Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch
Heart pockets
Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch
I made Mountain View Pull-on Jeans from Itch to Stitch. I chose the pull-on jeans pattern because I thought the elastic waist band was interesting. I had thought elastic waist jeans are for children's clothing but I changed my mind for the pattern. If you are lazy and don't want to make the fly zipper, I recommend using the pattern (Also for beginners too!).


~Butterfly Pocket Version~
Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch
Do they look like butterflies? They took a lot of time but it was worth it!
Here's the instructions.

How to make Butterfly poketHow to make Butterfly poket
Step 1. Cut the pattern pieces.
Step 2. Make the butterfly wings.
How to make Butterfly poketHow to make Butterfly poket
Step 3. Sew and combine these pieces.
Step 4. Apply rivets on the antennas.
Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch
Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch

Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch
I'm wearing a ruffled top in these photos is by bruda pattern: Ruffle Shirt 08/2015 #113. I made the jeans using a dark gray denim. The instructions recommend using fabric with 20% to 30% stretch. The denim that I used in the jeans is very stretchy, but I didn't know what percentage of stretch it had (I was gambling!).
The pattern is very easy to sew, like most leggings, but it has four pockets. I wanted to make them look like basic jeans, so I sewed the coin pocket too. I cut a size 4 according to the size chart. I like skinny jeans more than straight cut, so I took about a few inches out of each leg width.

~Hiding Heart Version~
Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to StitchJeans Itch to Stitch
I added four hearts (on the two back pockets, leather patch and coin pocket) to the jeans, so I named them "Hiding Hearts". I really love the leather patch and coin pocket! I cut the leather patch using scissors, and it was very difficult to cut it out(×_×;) The fabric looks like blue denim, but it's stretch tencel. The fabric stretches 30% and it's stiffer than the gray ones. I changed the straight cut from their original design.
Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch
Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch
The shirt is McCall's 6604. I attached some rivets to the pockets. If you attach rivets, I recommend applying NON-stretch fabric to the wrong side. The rivets will otherwise easily fall off the stretchy fabric.

Mountain View Pull-On Jeans Itch to Stitch
It took me a few hours to make the pockets, but the Mountain View Pull-On Jeans pattern is quick and easy to sew. I tend to get immersed in anything (but I get bored easily...), so I remade these pockets many times. I love standard tight jeans but I'm often get tired of wearing them for a long time. The pattern is designed to fit higher at the back, reaching at least as far as one's underwear. These jeans are very comfortable, and easy on and off. I will wear new jeans a lot in the spring to summer.
Fabric: Gray Denim 60" 1/2 Blue Tencel 60" 1/2
Total Time Spent (not include cutting time): Butterfly Version 12 hours, Hiding Heart Version 10 hours

~Another Story: 2018TOPSTHATPOP~
I am joining in "2018TOPSTHATPOP". Talented sewing blogger Faye of Faye's Sewing Adventure is hosting the event. I made the self drafted top for the challenge already but I would like to make one more. I will up their instructions on next post. See you!

33 comments

  1. What a great way to turn simple jeans into something interesting! *^v^* I admire you for putting so much time and effort into those pockets, such intricate work!
    I've loved your zipper top on the Instagram, looking forward to more designs, you have a good taste for interesting details, great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment Joanna! I'm happiest when I think about sewing idea( ´∀`) I love the zip up shoulder top, and I have made a short sleeves version already. If I have a scanner, I want to up the pattern on the blog.

      Delete
  2. I was not interested in sewing jeans, why sew when I can buy them. Also, I did not want to spend my time sewing jeans. But, I change my mind. I will be purchasing the pattern. I like the way it fits you and I really like the elastic waistband.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Mariela! I agree with you, I have several jeans, but half of them are RTW. I recommend the jean pattern:) I think their elastic waistband fit my body curve well.

      Delete
  3. I love both! Your jeans look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sewing Cappuccino4/19/2018

    These look fabulous on you! GREAT work as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks to Sewing Cappuccino! Very pleased:)

      Delete
  5. Your jeans look so nice on you and the pockets you made for both are so fabulous! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Justine! I am glad to hear from you.

      Delete
  6. super cute, those jeans look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment Beth! I am looking forward to seeing your new project.

      Delete
  7. I have this pattern in my cue! Love them on you and your pockets are what makes them so interesting and unique. I'm definitely going to consider doing some fun and interesting things with the pockets when I do get to making them. You've totally inspired me to get on that project :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks to Kathleen for reading my blog! I am glad to hear that! I would love to see your jeans. If you make yours please let me know😊😊😊

      Delete
  8. I absolutely love both pocket designs! The butterflies in particular look really intricate but are definitely worth it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Let's Get Sewing! Yes, I really love the pockets😁

      Delete
  9. Now those jeans' pockets are just fabulous! I admire all of your detail work for the pants. You really made them shine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Vanessa! I am very pleased. I love your pattern and fabric choice.

      Delete
  10. OMG - those pockets are so creative and your jeans look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josephine! You are so kind. I am looking forward to seeing your post on IG.

      Delete
  11. The jeans are fantastic. Love the leather idea. And the pockets are inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thenk you very much Vicki! I am pleased. Thanks to using leather patch, they look like basic jeans.

      Delete
  12. Eli, both jeans look absolutely amazing. I love the pockets! I can tell they took a long time to make but it was so worth it. Your top is so beautiful, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot dear Olivia! Yes, I love the pockets too! They are unique and lovely:)

      Delete
  13. Absolutely adorable! I love both pairs of jeans. Thank you so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ann! You are so kind. I'm so happy with them!!!

      Delete
  14. These jeans look amazing on you. I don't have this pattern and wasn't aware of it. You always seem to improve upon every pattern you work with. I definitely have to try these butterfly pockets!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Shirley! I would like to make the butterfly pocket for the denim jacket.
      Did you change your profile pic? Looooove it!

      Delete
  15. This looks like a great pattern to work with. I love your fun little pockets - the pants would otherwise look a little dull, but your pocket features add fun. I agree, ordinary jeans are not very comfortable to wear. I take them off as soon as I get home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! Sorry I missed your comments. The Japanese summer is hot and very humid, and I don't want to wear ordinary jeans in warm season. However, I will wear them for the summer.

      Delete
  16. Super cute jeans and adore the details on both versions! The butterfly pocket looks like a butterfly to me and admire your creativity in designing such a cute pocket. I like the hiding heart pocket detail too, especially the way the heart is sort of 'peeking out' in the front. And that zipper top is gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Lisa! I am happy to hear from you. I love the butterfly pocket but it looks like "moth", ha ha. The word 'peeking out' is a perfect phrasing! I love it:)))

      Delete
  17. I say this as a person who is obsessed with funky pockets...those have got to be the coolest ones I've ever seen. Wow! Love your jeans and am impressed with your creativity.

    ReplyDelete