Vogue1556 - Suede Dress with Obi Belt

Are you ready for fall? Today, I would love to tell you about my new dress; Vogue 1556.


I purchased Vogue1556 for the fall. It has a dress pattern with a belt. At first glance, I thought the belt was sewn to the waist area, but it can be used as a detachable one. The pattern wasn't difficult to make and the instructions were pretty clear. However, it has a lot of parts and many pleats on the skirt. It took around 24 hours to make the dress.

I used soft suede polyester. I combined black faux leather for the armhole and pocket opening, and I think it was perfect for it. I had to make many pleats on the skirt, so I used a carbon paper to transfer the pleat lines. I got tired halfway through, because of the work😾

I cut a size 8-10, and it was a perfect fit. (I made the top too: Renfrew top) The pattern needs a 9 inches invisible zipper, but I added one that was 11 inches long. The reason is that, when I tried to wear it, before I attached the zipper, it wasn't easy to take on and off. I shortened the skirt length by 3 inches and raised the waistline by 1/2 inches.

I made a three-buckle belt using a black genuine leather. I changed the length of each belt in order to fit my waistline. I cut the middle belt shorter than another belts and the bottom belt longer.

In recent years, wide belts like an Obi belt (kimono belt) have been in fashion in Japan. Especially, genuine leather ones are expensive. I think one costs about 8,000-10,000 JPY (100 USD). However, I bought the black leather for its one-tenth. I am really glad that I made it.

Here is a trial, I made the belt before making a black one. I recommend that you use a slippery fabric for the other side. It's easy to tighten up a belt. I used the snake printed faux leather and added polyester satin for the other side.

The picture to the left is the first trail. It didn't fit on my back line. The curve of the belt pattern was too tight for me. If you make it I highly recommend that you make a trial version first! I think it fits on woman who have an hourglass-shaped body. (Unfortunatly, I'm not) I modified the belt pattern, and the second trial (right pic) fits me perfectly. Woo-hoo!


It took less than three hours to make one belt. If the pattern only had a dress pattern I would have rated it 3 stars. However, I really love the belt, so I give it 5 stars! To make the belt you'll need only 20 square inches of leather and notions. I really recommend it. I'm so excited for the belt pattern to be a part of my pattern stash.

Total Time Spent: Dress 24 hours, Belt 3 hours
Fabric: Dress 60" 3yd, Belt 20 square inches and lining.



39 comments

  1. Eli, this is amazing! I think the dress is perfect in the suede. It really gives it character. And that belt... swoon. I was looking at this pattern and debating on whether or not I'd want to put the work in (it looks like a lot of work, which you've confirmed!) but now maybe I just want it for the belt...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Saki! It was a lot of time to make the dress. However, I really recommend the pattern, If you like the belt. I will make it with silver or mustard leather.

      Delete
  2. This pattern was one of my picks in a recent post I wrote on trends. It's so nice to see it made up! I love your additions of the black faux leather at the armhole and pocket. What a great belt too! You look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Diane! I am glad hear from you. I love the effect of the black faux leather too. Actually, I cut it from my old leather shorts, ha ha.

      Delete
  3. Wow, great job!!! Love the belt especially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Tee! I love the belt too:)

      Delete
  4. I love the touches of the faux leather on the dress, and I can see why you needed to take a break with all of those pleats! The obi is a wonderful addition too! How smart to make the center belt a little shorter to fit your waist curve properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! It took a lot of time to transfer the pleat lines, because I didn't have a small carbon paper. I had to get big one! However, I am happy with the results:)

      Delete
  5. It was a great idea to add leather elements on your dress, it makes it more eye catching. And the belt is an amazing piece of work, it adds a perfect accent to the dress. Great job as usual, you have an eye for good patterns and modifications! *^v^*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your commenting ヨアンナ! I had faux leather shorts, but they didn't match to my age(*_*)...and I sewed them at the armhole and pocket. I bought the black genuine leather from a craft shop (Robert has been there!) at Nippori.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful project! I am thrilled to see a version of this dress. It's on my list and I think I'll actually try my hand at it now! I love you contrasting fabric, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Jess! If you make this pattern, I would love to see it:) Good luck!

      Delete
  7. wow... fantastic. I really love the belt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Chez Vies! I am very pleased:)

      Delete
  8. what a great look, love the fabrics you chose to make this outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Beth! Thanks a lot for your comment. I love the fabric too! It's very soft and light- comfortable to wear.

      Delete
  9. So stylish!!!! I hope you have someplace fun to wear this outfit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Janie! I will wear it a lot! Have a nice weekend;)

      Delete
  10. I love your outfit. I'm impressed that you tackle the difficult and time consuming projects. I also really appreciate that you include how long it took you to make something. For me, time is as valuable as money and it is helpful to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind! Thank you for reading Kathy! I agree with you, the length of time on the project is important. I am glad if the information helps your project.

      Delete
  11. Gorgeous fall dressing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Faye!

      Delete
  12. I love this dress!! Your's is so much better than the version on the pattern. Your fabric choice is perfect too! It looks so high fashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praising me, Shirley! I really love the fabric. I always look forward to seeing your project.

      Delete
  13. It turned out perfect. I can't believe you made a belt! It definitely take a lot of effort, but it's so worth it. It looks really great with the dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Olivia! It was the first time to make a belt using genuine leather. I am glad that I made it well:)

      Delete
  14. This dress is just perfect - style, sewing and the styling off. Yes, I can see that the pleating would have taken a lot of time, but they look fantastic - and not bulky. I love your faux trim, and the leather belt is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Sarah! I am glad that you like the faux trim. I love the idea too.

      Delete
  15. The dress is beautiful and I love the belt you made. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa! I really love the belt! Next time, I would love to make a belt with silver or shine leather.

      Delete
  16. I really like the fabric combo you came up with, edgier fabrics counter the pleated skirt well. I had the same saga fitting the belt. By getting the narrow belt exactly right I was able to have the lower half sit perfectly against the body, but the upper half gaped a little like yours. I did notice in wear, the front edges can pivot slightly and then everything averages out and it sits nicely. But clearly three straps work and they look cool. I really made the belt to go with a different dress (Named Stella) which has a blouse top, so sitting a little away from the body and looking like an hourglass works (even if it's not really my figure).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much Jne4sl for your lovely comment! I am interested in stella pattern and added to my wish list. I think the belt goes well with it:)
      I won't make another dress because I think it's enough in my closet. However, I will make the belt again. I am looking forward to seeing your new project. Happy sewing;)

      Delete
  17. That is really lovely - it looks like a designer garment! The mix of fabrics is really a clever idea. You put a lot of time into making the belt just right and it shows, it's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog! I am glad that you said that. It took a lot of time, but I am happy with the results:) I totally love the belt pattern and recommend it to everyone.

      Delete
  18. It looks really lovely! I like the combination with the top beneath it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Let's Get Sewing! I am glad that you like it. Happy sewing;)

      Delete
  19. Great looking dress! As always your sewing is impeccable. I like both belts you made.
    Looks like you are ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! I'm flattered! I totally like both belts, and would love to make another one:)

      Delete