Kwik Sew 3873 Curved-Panel Dress

I finished the grey dress, Kwick Sew 3873 in a few days.

Recently, it's been pretty cold in Japan. I wanted to make a warm maxi dress, so I picked up this pattern (Kwik Sew3873: here). I made view A and view B in size 8-10. I thought this pattern is similar to Simplicity 2416 (My previous review: here).

I made the view B with a navy blue knit as a trial. I cut the skirt length of view B (knee length version), and used the sleeve parts of view A and shortened them by 2 3/4 inches. This fabric is very cheap and looks like denim at glance. The skirt directions were easier to follow than I thought.

I made the detachable collar and cuffs with knit fabric. They are removable and can be used with other clothes. These were pretty easy and quick to make and only took me around 30 minutes to make. I made the button holes on the wrong edge of the sleeves. However, I didn't need to make them because these cuffs would stay up on my wrists without buttons. I also didn't make the button holes for the detachable collar.

I made this dress from view A; ankle dress pattern. I wanted to wear the dress as a maxi, so I added to the length of the fourth and fifth parts from the top skirt by 3/4 inches. Also, I shortened the sleeves by 1 3/8 inches. I love the outcome.

Here is the picture taken near Mt. Fuji (the highest mountain in Japan). When I took the photo, it was a very beautiful and sunny day. Then I wore the dress the whole day, it was very comfortable. This dress goes well with a casual shirt or leather jacket, and could be nice in spring with a denim jacket. 
I had a lot of fun making this dress. I recommend the lovely pattern.

Fabric: 60" 3 7/8yd
Total time spent: 8hours

32 comments

  1. You just sold this pattern. I seriously love both of your versions and now I have to make my own!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praising me, lorrwill! I really recommend the pattern. I will make one for next summer.

      Delete
  2. Sewing Cappuccino12/20/2016

    Awesome dress! Your interpretations of patterns are always inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the kind words, Sewing Cappuccino! I am very pleased:)))

      Delete
  3. Love it! I've been looking for a pattern like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ruth. I recommend the pattern! It makes everyone look lovely:)))

      Delete
  4. Love both of these versions Eli- and the collar and scarf! Were the curved seams difficult to sew in jersey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah! These curved seams are very smooth. The works were easy to sew. If I have a chance, I would like to make a sleeveless version with a ptinted jersey for summer:)

      Delete
  5. Yes, I would never had considered it before seeing your version. I'll be buying this the next time Kwik Sew goes on sale!!! Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Tee! I recommend this pattern. It was easy and quick to make than I expected. Look forward to your version:)))

      Delete
  6. This looks so cute on you! I love the detachable collar and cuffs; I've never seen these before. Did you make from a pattern or is this your own creation? Beautiful with the dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Shirley!
      The pattens of the collar and cuffs are completely self-drafted. They were super easy to make ♪ヽ(´▽`)/ I wanted to use my small stash.

      Delete
    2. I had to come back to look at this dress again! I don't know how I missed your shoes with the gray dress the first time--I love them!

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I often read the previews posts on your blog because I really have a similar taste in sewing patterns to you:)
      P.S. I would like to choose my shoes and bags slowly at home and usually perchase them from YOOX.COM.

      Delete
  7. I love both dresses. You look gorgeous in each one! And they fit your beautifully. Your idea of the detachable collar and cuffs is very clever and practical - love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Tomasa! Your comments are encouraging for me. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas, cheer!!!

      Delete
  8. Love your dress especially the tiered skirt it really suits you. And mount Fiji what a backdrop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment, mags! I really LOVE the view of around there. It's my favorite place:)

      Delete
  9. I love both. You are always making pretty dresses :) Lovely detail on the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear my friend, Hana! I am happy that hear from you:)

      Delete
  10. Both dresses look so amazing. Now I want this pattern, too. I also love the detachable collar and cuffs.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Olivia! I hope that you have a great year.
      I recommend this pattern. I'm sure that it will look good on you:)

      Delete
  11. Miranda12/30/2016

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miranda12/30/2016

    These dress look so great on you. Thanks for the details about the pattern. I'll get this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you,Miranda. I am very pleased!

      Delete
  13. I've seen you on pattern review and I've just discovered your blog. I love seeing your projects you are an inspiration to me. I've been sewing fior about a year and my goal is to be like you someday. Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful creations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting my blog, Jan14! I am pleased. Your words are really encouraging me. If you post your projects on pattern review, please let me know:)))

      Delete
  14. Kwik Sew is on sale ($1.99) I just snagged this pattern, can't wait to sew it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad that you love this pattern! If you make yours, please post it on your blog:)))

      Delete
  15. Very successful, my dear.
    The dress looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, my dear friend! I am very pleased:)))

      Delete