Simplicity8470 - Reversible Quilt Coat

Hi friends! I would love to show you this quilted coat from Simplicity8470.
Simplicity8470 Coat Pattern
Take off the coat and change...↓
Simplicity8470 Coat Pattern
Simplicity8470 Coat Pattern
Ta-da! (⌒▽⌒) Reversible Coat!
I used the red chrysanthemum patterned kimono for the right side, and gray floral butterfly patterned for the other. The coat is made of two used- kimonos and can be worn on both sides.

Simplicity8470 Coat Pattern
Simplicity8470 has four options, features pocket variations, and can be made with a stand-up collar or a hood. I really wanted to make view B with wool. BUT it's record-breaking cold in Japan. I can't stand the cold in a wool coat. The pattern is not reversible coat, but I changed the conventional coat to the reversible quilt version.

Simplicity8470 Coat Pattern
Simplicity8470 Coat Pattern
I made a size 12 in the View C pocket and View D hood. I've made several quilted garments using quilted fabric. This was the first time to make a quilted coat using a kimono. Making the coat was a little tricky but it was not so difficult.

Simplicity8470 Coat PatternSimplicity8470 Coat Pattern
Let me briefly explain how I made it. I prepared two polyester used-kimonos, thick polyester batting and reversible zipper. First, cut the kimono fabric and batting. Stitched the wrong sides of fabric pieces to the batting together.

Simplicity8470 Coat Pattern
I prepared the gray kimono fabric instead of a lining. Cut fabric pieces like a right side. Stitched the wrong sides to the right together. Leaving an opening to turn (lower edge).

Simplicity8470 Coat Pattern
I made these four knot buttons instead of toggle ones. It was a pain to make the closures, but I really love them! I also added a reversible zipper.

Simplicity8470 Coat PatternSimplicity8470 Coat Pattern
 The instructions of pattern were very easy to follow, but the fur trim of the hood isn't detachable. Why not? I didn't like it and made it to detachable. Can you see these pictures clearly? I sewed several buttons on the fur trim and made some small button holes between these fabrics of the hood.
Simplicity8470 Coat Pattern
Thanks to the two kimonos, it's so warm to wear! I had to cut and sew many parts, and it took me 25 hours over! If you make a standard coat using Simplicity 8470, it won't take long. If you try to make a quilted version, I recommend that you choose one size bigger than your normal size. I went up one size, and it fits me perfectly. I really do love the coat, and think it was worth a lot of time spent on it.

Fabric: Two Kimonos
Total Time Spent ( Not include cutting time): 25 hours

~Another Story: DAY AND NIGHT DRESS CHALLENGE~
I am joining in "DAY AND NIGHT DRESS CHALLENGE". Lovely sewing blogger Elizabeth of Elizabeth Made This is hosting the event. Sewing bloggers make two dresses, Dress #1 is a casual dress for the day, and Dress #2 is cocktail dress for the night. I will show my works on 28th February. Don't miss the next post!

44 comments

  1. Unbelievable! Your coat is absolutely stunning and I love the fabrics you used. It was really worth the amount of time you put into it. I can't wait to see your dresses for the day & night challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Olivia! I really love the coat but I won't make a reversible quilt coat again- it was tough. I would like to make dresses for the Spring:)))

      Delete
  2. Hi Eli,
    wow!!! Incredible work! And the story you tell sounds so easy but it‘s not easy at all. I guess you are very proud of your winter coat and you can absolutely be proud because you have two different ones. Very very nice! Congrats!
    Regards, Kerstin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Kerstin! I am very pleased. I wanted to explain a little further how to make the reversible coat, but I couldn't describe it well( ˊᵕˋ ;) It's really cold in Japan, I will wear it a lot! Have a great day Kerstin.

      Delete
  3. Such a beautiful coat! Can't wait to see your dresses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Georgia! I am looking forward to seeing yours!

      Delete
  4. Eli, this coat is really gorgeous! What a lovely surprise to find out that it's reversible and then the collar can be removed. So many variations of style and it looks amazing on. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Diane for your kind words! I am flattered. I love the idea of making the detachable trim. I will use it for other garments:)

      Delete
  5. This is coat is wonderful! I love both fabrics and you did an amazing job making it reversible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Iris! You are so kind:) I am glad that you like it.

      Delete
  6. So, so pretty! I wouldn't be able to decide which side to wear on the outside- they are both so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Ann! I really love your coat too. I would like to make a coat using wool. Your review is very informative.

      Delete
  7. Wow! I love your fabric choice -beautiful work as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you stacy! I am very pleased:)))

      Delete
  8. Your coat is AMAZING, and I love the fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tracy! I love the fabrics too. I am glad that you like it:)

      Delete
  9. I love the fabrics you chose, great patterns for a coat. Also, the reversible type means you really made two coats at once, not just one! *^v^* Great job!
    I'm so going to visit the Kimono Kuraya shop this year when in Japan and I'm planning to put away a fabric budget just for shopping there! *^w^*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Joanna! Come visit! When you go there please let me know. A few month ago, I bought a kimono jacket at the store. It was only 100 yen! I am going to make a skirt with it(*^-^*)

      Delete
  10. I love it Eli! Gorgeous coat :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Maria! Very pleased!

      Delete
  11. You always wow me with your makes. Can't wait to see you day/night challenge make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Josephine! I am looking forward to seeing your lovely garments:)

      Delete
  12. Your time was well spent on this coat. It is absolutely GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Tomasa! Your comment is always sweet. Next time, I want quick sewing😸

      Delete
  13. So impressive!!!! I can see all of your hard work in this beautiful reversible coat. You wear it well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vanessa for your kind words! I am happy you said that. It was worth a try:)))

      Delete
  14. Lovely and unique! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading Eileen! I am very pleased!

      Delete
  15. How clever of you. It looks fabulous both sides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks to Vicki! I am glad you said that:)))

      Delete
  16. Your coat closet has to be busting at the seams now! One coat with 2 beautiful and different looks--genius!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Shirley! I'm happy to hear that, especially from you:)))

      Delete
  17. What a beautiful coat. I agree, in very cold weather, wool is not enough - you need down coats with lots of insulation. I wonder what you put inside this coat - it's nice a puffy, but in a very nice way. Such pretty fabrics, you will enjoy your daily walks wearing this lovely garment. Your kimono fabrics are beautiful - what are they, cotton or silk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sarah! It's still as cold as ever, and I am glad that I made it. I used like that for inside(http://www.joann.com/soft-n-crafty-polyester-batting-48x45yds/14195846.html#start=1)
      And these fabrics are polyester -it's so light but not transparent:)

      Delete
  18. Love it! Such a clever idea the way you modified it. The choice of fabrics is perfect too. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot sewing green lady! I am very pleased. You are so kind:)

      Delete
  19. Great coat, very good job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. When I first saw it, I liked it very much.
    A great coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Aysel! I am pleased😊

      Delete
  21. LOVE this coat Eli!!! You make the construction details sound so easy, though am sure they are much more complicated than that! :) Love the reversible option with a detachable fur trim. Always enjoy seeing your beautifully made garments and gorgeous photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Lisa! I am happy to hear that. I forgot how to make the revesible coat but it wasn't difficult. I love the fur trim too! It's lovely🌼

      Delete
  22. Your coat is amazing! The fabric you used is so cool, and I love that it's reversible and quilted. It looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment, Alli! I love the coat, and wore it a lot in the winter. It's a perfect coat for me(^_^)

      Delete