Vogue1548 - New Year's Dress and Kimono

How was your New Year's day? I would love to show you my New Year's styles. I made Vogue1548 .
Vogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy Laroche

Hand made Kimono Style
I made this striped kimono and bag too!
Vogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy Laroche
Vogue1548 is designed by Guy Laroche. When it came out last year, I wondered who would wear such an unusually designed dress. BUT I changed my mind when I saw the dress the model is wearing in a YouTube video. It's really lovely! The dress pattern has been on my mind for a while.

Sarah Webbさん(@sarahjw70)がシェアした投稿 -

This GREAT dress is made by Sarah Webb (I've met her in real. She's very fashionable!). I loooooove the dress!

Vogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy LarocheVogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy Laroche
Vogue1548 has a detachable front layer, piping sleeves, high waist bodice and big pleated balloon skirt. The skirt is very comfortable to wear. I used gray fabric (wool, polyester and silk blended) and combined a black polyester lace from my stash for the bodice and hem. It took a lot of time to cut these pattern pieces because the pattern has many parts.

Vogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy LarocheVogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy Laroche
The Most difficult part was making these sleeves. That's VERY tricky! The sleeve is made of FIVE parts and adding TWO lines of pipings ΣΣ(゚д゚lll). At first, I tried to attach the pipings with the leftover fabric from the dress, but it was too hard to make. I then redid it with the black lace for these areas, so I barely managed to finish it. I guess the model in the envelop is much taller than me. These sleeves are a little bit too long for her, but the skirt and bodice are short. How tall is she??? I thought the sleeve pattern was longer than other Vogue patterns. I strongly recommend that you check the length of the sleeve pattern, because it's difficult to adjust the length of sleeves after making them. The pattern of the cuff is too wide for me, so I put an elastic on these cuffs.



Vogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy LarocheVogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy Laroche

I cut a size 10 and added 3/4in. to the length of the skirt. I had never made such a gathered skirt hem before, but love it. It reminds me of a curtain slightly. Ha ha. However, I learned some techniques from the pattern.

Vogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy Laroche
Vogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy Laroche
Vogue1548 Dress Pattern by Guy Laroche
definitely recommend Vogue1548 but I won't make same designed dress again. However, I will use the patterns of the layered front and balloon skirt for other projects. They are very useful additions to my work wardrobe.

Fabric: 60" 2 3/4yd
Total Time Spent (not include cutting) : 18 hours

~Another Story~

Hand made Kimono Style

It's finally done! I made this striped kimono, and the "Haori" (kimono jacket) was made by my mother-in-law: She was a kimono tailor. I've made some kimono jackets as casual clothes using Simplicity 1318 (Pattern Review: Samurai Jacket) but I never made any haoris.

Hand made Kimono Style Hand made Kimono Style
The haori and kimono jacket look the same but it is worn and made in a different way. When people wear a haori, they have to fold their collar out. Most haoris have "Haori himo" (a pair of ties and a small loop where you can hook the ties on the inner edges). I made three detachable connecting beads instead of ties. They can be used as bracelets.

Hand made NorikoBag
I sewed the matching bag (Noriko bag) from the leftover fabric. If you have a kimono jacket, I recommend that you make a haori himo.
~Let's have a fun sewing this year!~


39 comments

  1. Your Vogue dress is gorgeous. There are a lot of details with this pattern and you seem to have mastered them perfectly! Dress looks stunning on you, love the use of lace. Your kimono and purse are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Linda! I am glad that you said that:) The dress was difficult to make, but it's worth it. I recommend the bag pattern too.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your version Eli and flattered that my dress helped you make up your mind to make it! The kimono is also brilliant with the co- ordinating jacket and bag( perhaps I can meet your mother-in- law when we come back to Japan?😁)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to seeing you, Sarah! My mother-in-law is very shy but she will be pleased to hear that. I was glad that I saw your dress before making mine. I really wanted to make "Noriko bag" too, and I barely made it (I remember yours😁). Thank you for inspiring me!

      Delete
  3. fantastic dress, those Guy Laroche patterns are so tricky but the details are nice. And lovely kimono. Happy New Year to you and I look forward to seeing what you sew in 2018.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Beth! I agree with you. I thought the sleeves are bizarre a little bit. I'm a shy parson when it comes to brave fashion lines- but I love the dress now.

      Delete
  4. I love your makes! The contrast fabric on the grey dress is a lovely touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Let's Get Sewing! I am pleased:)))

      Delete
  5. How utterly beautiful these two very different outfits are! I had not seen the Guy Laroche dress before, but isn't it fabulous! I love your version Eli. So much precise work in it and so neatly done.
    Your kimono, jacket and bag are delightful as well. I love to read about your traditional wear and the fabrics you use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane for your kind words! I really wanted to make the kimono by for New year's but I made it a week ago (too late). The pattern was released last year, then I didn't notice it. Anyway, I am pleased you said that!

      Delete
  6. Interesting dress, but the kimono is wow! That traditional outfit is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Maria! I am looking forward to seeing your project. I would love to make a bomber jacket with a kimono fabric like yours!

      Delete
  7. Your Vogue dress is a masterpiece and looks gorgeous on you! The different fabrics you chose work perfectly together. Such an interesting design that looks very flattering on you. Love the kimono and Haori and Noriko bag!! What a kind mother-in-law you must have to make something so special for you! Enjoyed learning more about what a Haori is and the beads are delightful. Look forward to seeing what you make this year! Your makes are always beautiful and inspiring!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your lovely comment Lisa! It took me about one month to make the kimono because I'm not really used to hand-sewing - I need to practice more! The dress was a difficult project for me, but it's worth making. I love the Noriko bag, I recommend it to everyone!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful! Your makes always out shine the pattern envelope pictures. Vogue should be impressed! You look so beautiful in your kimono too! Happy sewing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for praising me Shirley! Your comment is always sweet:) I hope you're doing great!!!

      Delete
  9. I am so impressed! You are such a talented seamstress! I love both of your garments, but especially the kimono. Thank you for giving some background into how it is worn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Vanessa for your lovely comment! It took me a lot of time to make the kimono but it's worth it. I will wear it a lot:)))

      Delete
  10. Wow! You really pulled off the unusual cut of the dress. I think the muted colours you chose work so well with the accentuated design and textures of the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Siobhan! I think the fabric matches the design and love the black lace too. I am glad that you said that:)))

      Delete
  11. You never cease to amaze me. Both are fabulous but love love love the colors for the kimono.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment Josephine! I'm flattered!

      Delete
  12. Your dress and the kimono are absolutely stunning. I love all the details on both of them. You really did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Olivia! I really love your new dress too:) It looks lovely on you!

      Delete
  13. Oh my words! I really love both! Fantastic:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot stacy! Very pleased:)

      Delete
  14. Miranda1/26/2018

    I really like the style of this dress! The fabric is also very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Miranda:) I am looking forward to seeing your project.

      Delete
  15. The dress is very interesting, if I saw it on the pattern envelope I'd never consider it worth sewing but your version catches the eye - it's the piping on the sleeves, the front lace panel and the cuffs/hem in different colour and texture that makes this dress! *^v^*
    You look beautiful in the kimono and haori! I love the colour and pattern coordination. The idea with detachable haori himo is great, you can choose the ones you fancy and change them! The photos look like they were taken at the 戦場ヶ原高原, they reminded me our trip from 2014 there. *^o^*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words Joanna! It took me one month to make the kimono. I will make another kimono for the spring!
      I took these pics at 深大寺(http://www.jindaiji.or.jp/language/english.pdf). I love the area, it's convenient to go there from my house. I haven't been to Nikko for a while, I would love to see these areas and eat dumpling dough in 宇都宮(o^o^o).

      Delete
  16. When I saw the Vogue pattern, I too thought who in the world would wear this in real life? However, you have made a beautiful version of this style that looks great on you! Your kimono is absolutely stunning - now that's a kimono!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you, Tomasa! Ha ha, I didn't notice the pattern at first:D I won't make same dress again but I love the details. I would like to make a peplam blouse using the front layer of the pattern. Thank you for reading the review!

      Delete
  17. I love your interpretation of the Guy Laroche dress - it's so pretty. Quite different from Sarah's. And I always like your traditional style - it suits you so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your comment Sarah! I agree with you, and Sarah's version is very gorgeous. I am looking forward to seeing your new project!

      Delete
  18. Wow, your mother-in-law does such fine work! I love the fabric on this kimono--it reminds me of bark cloth, and the bag and the beads are just inspired touches! The sleeves on the Vogue dress are really interesting. The piping really adds a lot and highlights all of those seams. I could see fitting the sleeve a little difficult. I know I'd likely have to shorten them considerably!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks to Elizabeth! I am glad that I managed to make the dress. Making the sleeves were very tricky. I had to redo around these areas. However, I love the front layer of the pattern. I think it's useful to combine other patterns:)

      Delete
  19. I am so impressed! You are such a talented seamstress! I love both of your garments, but especially the kimono. https://stylet.wooplr.com Thank you for giving some background into how it is worn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, stylet! I am pleased.

      Delete
  20. The dress is terrific, the kimono is terrific and the bag is terrific.
    Very good work Eli bravo.

    ReplyDelete