Butterick5616 - Liberty Jacket and Asymmetrical Tee Dress

I really love Liberty! It’s fall, and I wanted a light jacket using Liberty fabric.
I really wanted to make the jacket that this model is wearing in this Japanese sewing magazine. The jacket was made of Liberty stretch cotton. The magazine didn't really include sewing patterns and have only simplified instructions instead. I was thinking of making the sewing pattern myself but then I found Butterick 5616. I purchased it sometime ago on sale.

I thought the pattern was a semi-fitted design, but the pattern envelope said "VERY LOOSE." Before cutting the fabric, I compared these patterns and my RTW jacket. It was bigger than I expected. However, I wanted to wear it as a light jacket, so I modified it a lot. While I was making it, at every step I checked to see if it fit me.

I made view B using a Liberty stretch satin cotton. The instructions called for either 45" x 2 1/8 yd or 60" x 1/2 yd, but I only had a 50" wide x 1 7/8 yd. I considered that I did not have enough fabric to make it, I was just barely able to squeeze the pieces onto the fabric. The pattern was too big in spite of choosing a size 8 (my normal size 8-10), so I changed it around the bodice and sleeves. At first, I took 1/2 inches off both sides of the bodice and additionally narrowed at the waist by one inch. I also raised the waistline by 1/2 inches and took 1/2 inches off the shoulders. I thought that the sleeves (especially the upper arms) were too loose, so I reduced width of the upper arm to the elbow by one inch. I think that the changes made the jacket look better.

This loose dress has an asymmetrical hem that falls longer overlay in front. It's pulled over and has three skirt parts, an elastic waist and drawing strings. I have some simple tee maxi dresses but am tired of them, so I wanted to make an unique one. I picked up a light sweat cotton-polyester from my stash. Making the dress is really simple! At first, make a simple loose fitted tee shirt and add only three skirt parts: Trapezoid back skirt and two asymmetrical front skirts. If you have a simple tee pattern, you can make it easily.

👇👇👇Simplified skirt pattern. Click!

I cut off the hem of the front skirts by relying on my intuition. The asymmetric hem adds a unique touch and makes me look laid-back. It can be worn without a zipper and is very comfortable to wear. It took me about one day to cut and sew.

I don't like a loose-fitted jacket with three-quarter sleeves. I usually steer clear of such jackets, because they make me look frumpy. However, I've recently often seen women wearing over-sized silhouette denim jackets. I may try to sew one with long sleeves, using denim and will make it one-two size bigger than my normal size at the time.



Fabric: Jacket 50" 1 7/8 yd, Dress 75" 2 3/4yd

Total Time Spent (not include cutting time): Jacket 20 hours, Dress 5 hours






53 comments

  1. Very nice dress, great look!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely as usual! The jacket matches the dress so perfectly as far as colours. *^v^* I love the blue - turquois shades, it reminds me of the Japanese sea. The dress must be very comfortable and the asymmetric front adds a special look to it, great idea!
    I never liked 3/4 sleeved jackets on me and then I always tucked my sleeves upwards because it felt much more comfortable, maybe I should give this idea a try for a Spring/Summer jacket. ^^*~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot ヨアンナ! I am glad that hear from you. Oh, Blue - turquois! I didn't know the name of colour in English. Ha ha. The dress is really comfy to wear. I love it^_^ I am looking forward to seeing your autumn clothes!
      P.S I took these pics at Tanzawa lake. Very quiet place. https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1121139-d1602577-Reviews-Tanzawa_Lake-Yamakita_machi_Ashigarakami_gun_Kanagawa_Prefecture_Kanto.html

      Delete
    2. That's what I thought when I saw the photos - they went on another nice trip! *^v^* I am jealous of your warm weather, it's chilly and rainy in Warsaw already, we are having a very cold October this year (I heard September was also like that, lucky me I missed it being in Tokyo! *^O^*).

      Delete
    3. I love autumn in Japan the best. BUT I would like to move to a cold climate during summer...it's too humid and hot(*_*)
      Next year, let’s go see autumn leaves together(´∇`)

      Delete
    4. しましょう!約束ですよ! *^V^*~~~

      Delete
  3. These are both great Eli! I like the way you used a floral in a classic denim jacket design and the asymmetric dress is genius! DO make the oversized denim version- I'm sure it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for encouraging me Sarah! I got more confident to hear from you:))) I will make the oversized denim version too.

      Delete
  4. The jacket is stunning! Love, love, love it! You look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Georgia! Very pleased:D

      Delete
  5. What a great jacket! It really suits you and I love it worn over your new casual dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane for your lovely comment! I am glad that you like it:)

      Delete
  6. I'm a big Liberty fan too but I never knew they made such a robust cotton perfect for a nice "denim" style jacket. A lot of people will ask you where you bought it I'm sure! It's so on trend and pretty on you with this lovely flowing dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment Kathleen! I'm very pleased😄
      Liberty is very popular among Japanese sewers too. I have a large collection of them. They always make me happy.

      Delete
  7. This is such a cute outfit! I love the jacket and the fabric makes it so much more special. You look beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! Your words always encourage me. I really love the Liberty jacket. I will make it again😃

      Delete
  8. Wow the Liberty makes for such a special denim style jacket! The skirt design on this dress is really cool; I'm such a sucker for asymmetric styles! I love the jade color--it's such a great accent for the Liberty jacket!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment Elizabeth! At first, I didn't like the pattern but I think it's an useful pattern now. I love the colour of the dress too. It looks like a lake green😺

      Delete
  9. Cute jacket! I think that with a lot of clothing, both sewn and knitted, if it's a little too big, it looks frumpy. However, if it's oversized and a lot bigger, it looks fashionable! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment betty! I agree with you, I would like to make an ovesized version:)))

      Delete
  10. Lovely outfit. The jacket and dress go so nicely together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Vicki!

      Delete
  11. Your jacket is the cutest!!! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Tee! Thank you for your compliment:)

      Delete
  12. I love this outfit. The breeziness makes it a favorite must have. Great job!!!:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dellia! I am glad that you said that. Love your new project too.

      Delete
  13. Anonymous10/06/2017

    Lovely outfit! I've never seen Liberty in stretch sateen. It looks wonderful to sew with. The asymmetric style of that dress is very clever - and so easy! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda! Many craft shops in Japan have a license agreement with Liberty and create such a Liberty fabric (made in Japan). Also, linen, corduroy, flannel, jersey, etc. I would love to collect their fabric more😁

      Delete
  14. I love the entire outfit ! It’s brilliantly constructed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sasha! I am looking forward to your next post😺

      Delete
  15. Eli, I love your use of Liberty here! It's so charming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are kind, Saki! Thanks a lot for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  16. I think the alterations you made to the pattern in order to fit to the amount of fabric you had actually helped you to create a jacket that was much more like the magazine picture. It's a gorgeous jacket. I also love your knit dress - it has given me ideas. That is the trouble with sewing - so many ideas to make, not enough time to make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your nice comment Sarah! My project is often helped by other sewers and blog (like you!).
      I agree with you, often have MANY troubles with sewing. Anyway, I had fun after all and am satisfied with the results😺

      Delete
  17. Love the new jacket. Very pretty fabric and very much like the inspiration jacket in the sewing magazine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment Linda. I am really glad that you like the fabric. I love it too😺

      Delete
  18. Love both your jacket and your unique T-shirt dress. The combination is perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment Tomasa! I really love your khaki jacket too! I would love to make it with long sleeve version:)

      Delete
  19. Such a gorgeous jacket and all the time you spent fitting was very much worth it!! Your pretty dress complements the jacket beautifully and as always, love your beautiful scenery! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa for your sweet comment! I am pleased to hear from you. It took a lot of time to modified the pattern, but I enjoyed it very much. These pictures were taken close to the local lake:)

      Delete
  20. Both garments are gorgeous! They go so well together too, the perfect outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Let's Get Sewing! I am looking forward to seeing your new project:)

      Delete
  21. What a lovely outfit. I always enjoy looking at your pictures. Japan is so beautiful. I'm planning a trip with my family for the 2020 olympics. It would be great if we can come - I've always wanted to see your country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment! It's a great plan! I really recommend that you go to Nippori fabric town in Tokyo. There are lots of fabric stores, and close to some sightseeing spots😺

      Delete
  22. Awesome combo. Each time I view dress I like it even more. If I am seeing it correctly you did not hem the dress and that adds another dimension of distinction to it. LOVE the jacket - LOVE the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josephine! I am glad that you like them:) I really love your sweat jackets too. These teachers are lucky! I am interested in embroidering but I don't have a embroidery sewing machine.

      Delete
  23. great post!
    love cat? visit our blog : http://www.cat-lover.ga/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a cats lover too😻

      Delete
  24. i love the jacket and the color you have made it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your compliment daisy!

      Delete