Kwik Sew 4188 Close Front Tops

I picked up Kwik Sew 4188 sometime ago on sale. I made two kinds of tops.
Tied front version.


A-line tunic version


I wanted to make a simple top for summer. I made these tops using Kwik Sew 4188. The instructions were easy to follow. I would recommend it to others! It has two overlay and two bodice options. I combined both patterns from it.

Front tied version: I used stretched cotton-wool blend fabric. This fabric curled up very easy and was hard to sew. These overlay parts were turned over and shown the wrong side. I pressed these areas again and again but the edges of them warped as time went on. I press tops every time after washing it? NEVER! I raised both side placements of overlay and the waist line by an inch. I also shortened the sleeve length by an inch. If you would like to make a tied front version, I recommend that you cut the overlay parts longer than the original pattern.

Anyway, I'm very pleased with the result. I found this fabric on sale. I love the striped and floral pattern, it goes well with the green linen skirt.
Moving on to A-line tunic version. This style looked like '70s style, haha. I used Italian rayon. I changed the design a lot! The bodice into an A-line silhouette, so I added about 8 inches to the length. I also changed the sleeves from fitted to flared. 

 Copy trace over and cut. Measure width with a ruler.

Divide into four parts. Cut and open by 7 centimetres (2 3/4 inches). Set the part on the other sheet with tape. Cut out. -Finish!
Sorry, I don't have nice pics. You can check here too.

If you are flat-chest (like me!), you would think the overlay parts are too long. The reason why I had to shorten them by 3/4 inches because they were too loose.
I would love to sew this pattern again. I may make a tee version for summer.

Fabric: Tied front version 52" 1 5/8 yd, A-line tunic version 58" 2yd
Total time spent: 8 hours

34 comments

  1. These tops are so original! I also really like your fabric choices :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, kalimak. I am glad that you like them.

      Delete
  2. Love both versions,Eli. They look quite different. Thanks for the fitting tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Sarah! I would love to make another one:)

      Delete
  3. Both are gorgeous makes. Love these!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both are gorgeous makes. Love these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Faye! Very pleased.

      Delete
  5. My favourite is the striped one ... I love how the stripes accentuate the draped knot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sasha. The striped fabric was difficult to sew but I love it now.

      Delete
  6. I like n got clear vision of flare sleeves. I will definatly try it out. Thanks alot and keep posting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog, Marya! I am glad if my post helps your project:)

      Delete
  7. I like the black&white version mainly for the stripes but the tunic is a winner! I love the shape, the sleeves, the 70's feel (it goes so well with the bell bottom trousers!). *^v^*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brahdelt! I like the striped top and often wear it. I would like to make a short sleeve version. It's getting warmer in Japan(;^_^A

      Delete
  8. Those are great tops, they look so professional. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind compliments dear stacy!

      Delete
  9. I love the tie front top best. It's super pretty on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot dear Carmen! That is such a lovely compliment:)

      Delete
  10. I love these tops, especially the snappy little green one. The second is much more boho, and nice too. I love the ripple hem, years since I have seen one. I rushed out and bought this pattern (also on sale) as soon as I saw the striped top - it's just so lovely. Thanks for the hint about checking the length of the ties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah for the kind words. I recommend this pattern. It goes well with a skirt and pants too. I'm looking forward to seeing yours:)

      Delete
  11. Wow. So unique! I love how you styled them both! You have a lot of talent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Georgia! I love your new dress too:)))

      Delete
  12. Both tops are beautiful! I like the fabric you chose for both of them and yes, the tunic has a 70's vibe - very nice! Love the alteration you did for the sleeves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tomasa! Nice to hear from you. It's a flattering and useful pattern:) I will sew it again.

      Delete
  13. Both tops are so beautiful. You look really great in them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comment, Olivia. I am glad that hear from you.

      Delete
  14. These tops are so unique! I love how you flared the sleeves. Sometimes I forget that I can alter my patterns to make them suit my tastes. I love it when you do that because it reminds me to do that too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! I learned drawing a pattern at sewing class but I often forget how to make one.
      I love the flared sleeves because they hide my flabby arms well! Haha.

      Delete
  15. I love both your tops, especially the striped one. The pattern is such an interesting shape, it looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Let's Get Sewing for stopping by. I love this pattern and recommend it to others:)

      Delete
  16. I love both versions of this top pattern. You have truly turned them both into something unique and very flattering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda! I'm so glad you said that. I will wear these tops a lot:)

      Delete
  17. I love what you did with the sleeves on this one. Love this top

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Josephine! I love the flared sleeves too:) It's a great pattern, I think.

      Delete
  18. Anonymous7/27/2017

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete